Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
United Way in Montgomery County’s VITA Program offers free income tax assistance to eligible community members with the help of individuals who are certified with the IRS to prepare taxes as volunteers. Documents can be submitted virtually using our online intake form, or you can schedule an appointment to come to our office using the self-scheduling tool below. If you have questions, call, or text 765-421-6163 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Eligibility Considerations: Individuals making $68,000 or less are eligible for VITA services. Active-duty military personnel, individuals managing rental properties or farms, as well as independent contractors who operated at a substantial loss are out of scope for our program.
Virtual tax return preparation
You can save yourself a trip to the office by submitting your tax documents virtually. You can complete our online intake form in about 20-30 minutes from the comfort of your own home and wait to receive a text from United Way when your return is ready to pick up. Montgomery County virtual tax return preparations are done through the United Way of Greater Lafayette portal but will be picked up at the United Way in Montgomery County office. Watch the video to learn more about this process and see if it would be a good fit for you!
- Step 1: Take pictures of all your tax documents, including social security cards, photo IDs, and any tax-related forms or letters you received in the mail.
- Step 2: Complete the online intake form, uploading pictures of your documents as you’re prompted to do so. For your safety, make sure to delete all photos with sensitive personal information from your gallery when you’ve completed the form.
- Step 3: Add 765.421.6163 to your contacts as United Way/VITA. We’ll call or text you from this number when your tax return is ready to pick up, or if we have questions along the way.
- Step 4: When your tax return is ready to pick up, come to the United Way in Montgomery County office to pick up your return between 12-4pm on Tuesday or 9am-1pm on Thursday. We will verify your identity before providing you with a copy of your return, so please bring your ID and social security card.
DROP OFF TAX RETURN PREPARATION
If you would prefer an in-person intake appointment, you can self-schedule a drop-off appointment at our office.
- Plan to arrive about 10-15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time to complete intake paperwork. You may also pick up an intake appointment packet to complete in the comfort of your home prior to the day of your appointment.
- When you arrive at our office the day of your appointment, you should enter the First Financial Bank vestibule, then take the stairs or elevator to the 2nd floor. Go to the right to the United Way in Montgomery County front desk where you will be given the intake paperwork to complete prior to your appointment.
- During your appointment, you will sit with a volunteer who will review your paperwork to ensure everything is complete, ask clarifying questions, and scan everything needed to complete your return.
- The volunteer will return all your paperwork to you. Add 765.421.6163 to your contacts as “United Way/VITA.” We will call/text you from this number when your return is ready to pick up, or if we have questions along the way.
- When your tax return is ready to pick up, come to the United Way in Montgomery County office to pick up your return between 12-4pm on Tuesday or 9am-1pm on Thursday. We will verify your identity before providing you with a copy of your return, so please bring your ID and social security card.
Volunteers and staff of United Way in Montgomery County will be wearing masks and regularly sanitizing their hands and work surfaces to keep you and other community members safe. Clients are required to wear a mask while they are in the VITA site.
Want to try preparing your own taxes this year? United Way Worldwide has partnered with a variety of tax preparation service providers to make their products available to individuals and families for free. Answer a few quick questions, and you’ll be directed to the best product available for your unique situation. To begin, you’ll want to make sure you have…
- A valid email address
- Income Forms (w2’s, 1099’s, 1098’s)
- And other items from the Tax Checklist