Purdue International Students Tax Help
The resources on this page are specifically designed to meet the needs of foreign students. Please utilize these resources exclusively!
United Way’s VITA Program offers free income tax assistance to eligible community members with the help of IRS-certified volunteers. We are able to support foreign students in the preparation and electronic filing of their tax returns in two ways, or Purdue offers free self-prep support through which students can mail their returns to the IRS. If you have questions, text 765-421-6163 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Free, Virtual Self-Prep with E-File
Want to try preparing your own taxes this year? United Way Worldwide has partnered with a variety of tax preparation service providers to make their products available to individuals and families for free. Answer a few quick questions, and you’ll be directed to the best product available for your unique situation. Please be aware that while e-file is available for your federal and many state returns through this program, some states including Indiana require non-resident returns to be mailed.
- A valid email address
- Income Forms (w2’s, 1099’s, 1098’s)
- And other items from the Tax Checklist
Please note! There are well-known and established self-prep service providers that may not accommodate the preparation of 1040-NRs. Filing with these providers will require you to amend your return later. Be sure that whatever service you use accommodates the preparation of 1040-NR returns AND that you select “Nonresident Alien” as your filing status to ensure the proper forms are generated by the software.
SUBMIT YOUR TAX DOCUMENTS VIRTUALLY
You can submit your documents to United Way’s program to be prepared for you by IRS-certified volunteers. We use an end-to-end encrypted service that allows you to complete your intake interview and submit photos or digital copies of your tax documents. You can complete our online intake form in about 20-30 minutes from the comfort of your own home and wait to receive a text from United Way when your return is ready to pick up. We are typically able to prepare 1040-NR Returns within five business days of receiving the submission, at which point we invite you to come to the office to pick up your return, after which we electronically file the return.
- Step 1: Take pictures of all your tax documents, including social security cards, photo IDs, and any tax-related forms or letters you received in the mail.
- Step 2: Complete the online intake form, uploading pictures of your documents as you’re prompted to do so. For your safety, make sure to delete all photos with sensitive personal information from your gallery when you’ve completed the form.
- Step 3: Add 765.421.6163 to your contacts as United Way VITA. We’ll call or text you from this number when your tax return is ready to pick up, or if we have questions along the way.
- Step 4: When your tax return is ready to pick up, come to our office to pick up your return between 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. We will want to verify your identity before providing a copy of your return, so please bring your ID and social security card.
Eligibility Considerations: Individuals making $73,000 or less are likely eligible for VITA services. If your income is above this threshold or if you traded virtual currency ( bitcoin, ) are out of scope for VITA services.
Watch the video to learn more about this process and see if it would be a good fit for you!
prepare your return using glacier
Purdue provides free access and video-based support for self-preparation of 1040-NR returns using the Glacier system. Instructional videos guide you through the process of preparing your federal and Indiana state returns. When the process is complete, you print your returns, sign them, and mail them to the Internal Revenue Service and Indiana Department of Revenue respectively.