Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
The VITA Program offers FREE tax preparation and filing services to people who make $66,000 or less and need assistance preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals in local communities. United Way of Greater Lafayette, in partnership with Purdue University offers VITA tax preparation services January through April. If your tax return contains any items that are out of scope for our program, we will be unable to prepare your tax return. Please know that the IRS does not begin accepting electronically filed returns until February 12, 2021. If you have any questions about the VITA program call or text 765-421-6163 or email email@example.com
Virtual tax preparation
In light of the ongoing community health concerns, United Way of Greater Lafayette has virtual tax preparation services available.
- In this model, the client will complete an online form with their information, upload required tax documents and a volunteer will remotely prepare the tax return using an IRS certified tax software.
- Once the return has been reviewed by a certified volunteer the client will be contacted to review and sign their tax return.
- A virtual meeting will be conducted between the client and the volunteer to answer any questions.
- An electronic version of the return will be emailed to the client for signature and it will be submitted electronically. A physical copy of the tax return may be picked up from United Way if preferred but this will need to be scheduled ahead of time.
DROP OFF TAX RETURN PREPARATION
United Way of Greater Lafayette understands that not all clients have available technology to complete virtual tax preparation so we have made available a drop off option.
- In this model the client will schedule an appointment to drop of their tax documents at United Way of Greater Lafayette.
- The client will call or text when they have arrived at United Way.
- The client will remain in their vehicle and a masked volunteer will provide the necessary paperwork for tax preparation.
- Once the paperwork has been completed the volunteer will retrieve the documents. The client is free to leave at this point.
- When the return is completed, the client will be notified and they will schedule a time to pick up their tax return.
- The client will call or text once they have arrived and will be notified when they can enter the building to complete the tax return process.
United Way of Greater Lafayette is following the Tippecanoe County Health Department health and safety guidelines.
If you would rather prepare your own tax return you may qualify for free tax preparation through My Free Taxes. This tax prep software is powered by H&R Block to prepare your income tax return from the comfort of your home. To get started, you will need:
- A valid email address
- Income Forms (w2’s, 1099’s, 1098’s)
- And other items from the Tax Checklist