Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
United Way’s VITA Program offers free income tax assistance to eligible community members with the help of members of the community who certify with the IRS to prepare taxes as volunteers. Documents can be submitted virtually using our online intake form, or you can schedule an appointment to come to our office using the self-scheduling tool below. If you have questions, text 765-421-6163 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Eligibility Considerations: Individuals making $68,000 or less are likely eligible for VITA services. Active-duty military personnel, individuals managing rental properties or farms, as well as independent contractors who operated at a substantial loss are out of scope for our program.
If you are a Purdue International Student filing as a non-resident for tax purposes looking for tax preparation services you can find information about your taxes here.
Virtual tax return preparation
You can save yourself a trip to the office by submitting your tax documents virtually. You can complete our online intake form in about 20-30 minutes from the comfort of your own home and wait to receive a text from United Way when your return is ready to pick up. Watch the video to learn more about this process and see if it would be a good fit for you!
- Step 1: Take pictures of all your tax documents, including social security cards, photo IDs, and any tax-related forms or letters you received in the mail.
- Step 2: Complete the online intake form, uploading pictures of your documents as you’re prompted to do so. For your safety, make sure to delete all photos with sensitive personal information from your gallery when you’ve completed the form.
- Step 3: Add 765.421.6163 to your contacts as United Way VITA. We’ll call or text you from this number when your tax return is ready to pick up, or if we have questions along the way.
- Step 4: When your tax return is ready to pick up, come to our office to pick up your return between 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. We will want to verify your identity before providing you a copy of your return, so please bring your ID and social security card.
DROP OFF TAX RETURN PREPARATION
If you would prefer an in-person intake appointment, you can self-schedule a dropoff appointment at our office.
- Plan to arrive about 10 minutes before your scheduled appointment time to complete intake paperwork in your car, or pick up an intake appointment packet to complete in the comfort of your home.
- When you arrive at our office the day of your appointment, wait to enter the building until your intake paperwork is completed and make sure everyone is wearing a mask to cover their nose and mouth.
- You will sit with a volunteer who will review your paperwork to ensure everything is complete, ask clarifying questions, and scan everything needed to complete your return.
- The volunteer will return all your paperwork to you. Add 765.421.6163 to your contacts as “United Way VITA.” We will call/text you from this number when your return is ready to pick up, or if we have questions along the way.
- When you are notified your return is ready to pick up, come to the office between 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Mondy through Friday. Provide your name to the site manager and let them know you’ve arrived to pick up your return.
Volunteers and staff of United Way of Greater Lafayette will be wearing masks and regularly sanitizing their hands and work surfaces to keep you and other community members safe. Clients are required to wear a mask while they are in the VITA site.
Want to try preparing your own taxes this year? United Way Worldwide has partnered with a variety of tax preparation service providers to make their products available to individuals and families for free. Answer a few quick questions, and you’ll be directed to the best product available for your unique situation. To begin, you’ll want to make sure you have…
- A valid email address
- Income Forms (w2’s, 1099’s, 1098’s)
- And other items from the Tax Checklist