UNITED WAY OF GREATER LAFAYETTE POVERTY SIMULATION
WHAT IS THE POVERTY SIMULATION?
The Poverty Simulation is an impactful and interactive experience in which participants can begin to understand the realities of low-income families, trying to survive from month to month.
The challenges represented in the Poverty Simulation are a daily struggle for many. In Tippecanoe County, many of our neighbors face realities such as food insecurity, housing instability, homelessness, lack of reliable and affordable transportation, domestic violence, and the inability to afford basic necessities, unemployment and underemployment.
Each participant in the simulation takes on the role of a person living in poverty. Roles are based on real family scenarios. The goal is to make ends meet, feed your family, and maintain housing for one month.
It is a simulation. Not a game
May 4, 2022
IBEW Local #668
2545 South 30th Street
Lafayette, IN 47909
INTERESTED IN HOSTING A POVERTY SIMULATION?
- Allow 2.5 to 3 hours for the event
- Requires 45-90 participants to assume the roles of families facing poverty
- Participants may be groups from one organization or open to the public
- Requires 20+ volunteers to facilitate the event
- Contact United Way to customize your simulation to get the most out of the experience